Wednesday, April 27, 2011

#3 The Weeds of Death, Wounds, and Sin

So I went to a Christian church on Easter.  I am pretty sure this is the 3rd such religious service I have attended in 20 years.  And I have always been very proud of that record.

Did something change?

Society has views I do not necessarily share.  I do not want to handicap my son my preventing him his own opportunity to determine whether he wants to share those views.

Was it worth it?

Honestly, it was fantastic.  Now I do not want to get anyone's (Sandy) hopes up.

I am not looking to be a Christian.  I am looking for spiritual identity.  I am not happy with evangelists, telling me I must believe as they believe, I am not happy with establishmentarians telling government to implement religious morality into law, and I am not happy with newfound modern interpretations of ancient scriptures.  These things weight HEAVILY against Christianity.

That being said, I heard a couple of things that struck me during this service.  I found them both compelling and a tongue in cheek bit of marketing for the church.  The preacher said that we look for salvation because our lives become overcome with weeds.  Weeds of death, weeds of wounds, and weeds of sin.  And I agree completely that this is why people find religion.

Not unlike Obama said.  People cling to religion and guns in times of hardship.  Because religion offers a path, a way to rise above our loss and say that we are in "God's" hands.  That concept disgusts me.  For me, it instantly removes self responsibility and purposeful choices from our lives.

I have thusly always opposed religion and I have yet to overcome that distrust.  However, I am open to spiritual growth if not dogmatic faith.  I am reading a new book. The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment.  I will discuss it at some length in a later post.  But for now let us say the doors are no longer completely closed to allowing myself to be a spiritual being.

It is a small step in the right direction I believe.  And yes, the Easter sermon did move me to tears multiple times.  The joy that those people have in their shared belief in Jesus Christ is uplifting and admirable.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats. Scott, I too have a hard spot in my heart for religion. I felt like I was "burned" a long time ago. However, I did find out that there is a difference between religion and spirituality about 8 yrs ago. You don't have to practice religion to have a spiritual awakening. So, good luck with your journey to "deweed" your life. I wish you much peace.

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete